Sunday, November 18, 2012

Great Strides 2012

The first thing I want to say is, THANK YOU! I am completely overwhelmed at how many generous donations we received for Team Victor. We beat our goal by raising a total of $2475 for Cystic Fibrosis WA. That is all because of the lovely people who donated, shared our fundraising page with others, and came with us on the walk today. Your kindness and generosity is truly appreciated.

Great Strides is a walkathon held every year to raise funds and awareness for Cystic Fibrosis. Our team consisted of Phil and I; Felix and Victor; my aunt and uncle, Michelle and Bill; my Mum, Julie; my Dad and step mum, John and Sarah; my brothers Oliver and Edward; and Bill's sister Jo and her daughter Grace.

We arrived at 9am in time to sign in. Felix played a little fishing game with Aunty Shell, and I met Phil's friend from work and her grown son, who also has cystic fibrosis. It was really good to meet another family who understands completely what it's like to live with cystic fibrosis, and as they have years of experience they were able to offer some very good tips and advice! My Grandad and his friend Mary came along to see us too; it was great to have their support on the day.



Then it was time to start walking! The timing was just off, meaning Victor wanted a feed right when we had to start walking. So I walked for the first few minutes with a baby under my shirt! Bit awkward but you do what you have to do! (And who isn't impressed with that level of multitasking?!).

Victor in the pram.

Soon Victor and Felix were settled in the pram together and we walked around Lake Monger, a distance of 3.5kms. I was worried that it was going to be too hot but the weather was perfect. Sunny with a few clouds and a lovely cool breeze so the walk was very relaxing. 

Felix in his Batman sunnies

And about 40 minutes later, we arrived at the finish line! We were greeted by Stitches the Bear, the Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation mascot, which Felix absolutely loved. Biggest smile on his face when Stitches came over for a high five! While we were walking the rest of the carnival had been set up, including a bouncy castle, a stage for singers and dancers, food and drink stalls, merchandise stalls and other activities for the kids. Felix had a turn on the bouncy castle and had the best time! It was hilarious watching him jumping around in there while laughing hysterically and yelling "I'm jumping! I'm jumping!" I asked him after a while if he wanted to hop out and he said "No way! No way Mum!". He did come out eventually and had a play on the playground until we went home.

Team Victor at the finish line!

It was wonderful to see such a huge turnout and to see so many people dedicated to the cause of helping people with cystic fibrosis. It really meant a lot to me to know our family and friends care about little Victor so much and I am eternally grateful to them all. Here's hoping next year's Great Strides will be even bigger and better...a step closer to a cure.

Phil, me, and the boys.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...