Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012: Year in Review

What a crazy year we've had! I am glad it's over. I try to not be pessimistic but I just think that overall 2012 was not a great year, not just for me but for a lot of people I know. I hope that 2013 will be a lot better and I'm looking forward to starting the new year!

January: I found out we were having another boy. We had the ultrasound done at 20 weeks, which showed a perfect baby growing well. He was extremely active throughout my whole pregnancy. I was really excited to find out we were going to have two boys, as I thought it would be nice for both of them to have a brother so close in age. They could play together and grow up to be friends (at least, that's the theory).

February: Felix had his 2nd birthday and began going to playgroup once a week (which is attended by parents as well). It was a good opportunity for him to interact with children his own age while the parents got to relax and supervise.

March: This month I had a baby shower, hosted by my Mum and my friend Kara, which was beautiful. I spent this month trying to prepare the nursery and get everything ready for the new baby. Phil spent a week away in Brisbane for work, so I was on my own with Felix for the week. It was exhausting! I was extremely happy when he got back home...especially as he picked up Krispy Kreme donuts for us (seriously, when are they going to come to Perth?!).

April: This month we tried to spend lots of time with Felix, in his last days as an only child. We prepared the last few things for Victor's arrival. I found out that I was highly anemic and needed to take a strong dose of iron supplements, as well as red meat every single day and chicken livers once a week. I was told that I may need a blood transfusion at the birth. My c-section was booked in. Phil got a new job: something more suited to his interests, with better pay, and best of all, more time at home with us!

May: Victor Huckleberry was born! Weighing 2900g and measuring 46cm long at 9.50am on the 18th. He was tiny but healthy. The birth went well. Phil's mother came to visit from America, and Victor and I came home on the 21st. The rest of the month was full of visitors coming to see the new baby.

June: Began to suspect something may not be quite right with little Victor. Exactly one month after he was born the phone call arrived from PMH and changed everything. It was not what I wanted to hear and I never expected anything this serious, but at least I had answers and we could help him. We spent that week visiting the hospital every day, learning how to care for him. The next week he was admitted to hospital overnight because the doctors suspected he may have picked up a cold and wanted to be on the safe side, but luckily he was fine and we went home the next day.

July: Life continued as normal. We visited family and friends, took the boys to the park, and went to our appointments at PMH. The diagnosis was weighing very heavily on my mind. I tried to learn everything I could about it, and tried finding other families who had children with CF.

August: I started writing this blog in an attempt to keep our family and friends updated with what the boys are doing, and to meet other people who have children with CF or have CF themselves. I couldn't believe it when people actually read it, and the support I have received through this silly little blog has actually been amazing. It's started to become more important to me. Every page view, comment and email I have received through here or on facebook means a lot to me. It is incredible the difference having a support network makes.

September: Phil's Mum, Donna, came back for another visit, which was really nice and the boys absolutely loved having her here. Victor had a lung function test done as part of a study he is taking part in, and a few days later had a chest CT scan and bronchoscopy done as part of his standard care. We were relieved to find NO bugs! His lungs are looking perfect. Let's keep them that way!

October: A pretty quiet month. We went to look at our new house and decided that it would be perfect for us. The boys and I went to playgroup, had visitors over, and had fun at Halloween even without trick or treating.

November: We participated in the Great Strides Walkathon to fund research and services for Cystic Fibrosis, and reached our goal by raising over $2000. I don't think people truly understand how much it meant to me that people donated to our cause, shared our fundraising page, and walked with us. I still tear up just thinking about the generosity people showed towards us, and the love they have for my boy.

December: Such a busy month. We moved house, did all our Christmas shopping at the last minute, put up the tree and decorations at the last minute, and on Christmas Eve I passed my driving test which is probably classified as a Christmas miracle. We had a lovely Christmas with family, and had a quiet New Years' Eve with my brother and his girlfriend.

I am hoping that 2013 is relaxing, boring, and uneventful! maybe that's a strange thing to want but after this rollercoaster of a year I'm ready for a bit of boredom.

Happy New Year, everyone! A huge thank you to everyone who has been reading, commenting, and emailing; it means so much to me. I hope 2013 is everything you want it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...