Monday, February 11, 2013

Felix's 3rd Birthday

My big boy has turned three and we have had a busy week of celebrating!

His actual birthday was on Monday the 4th February. Our day started very early because Victor woke up at 4.30am and would not go back to sleep, which was a bit brutal. Felix woke up at a more reasonable time and opened his presents from us and the ones sent from his Grandma in America, Donna. We then packed up and went to the zoo!

Felix on the morning of his 3rd birthday, with new roller skates!
It's the first day of the new school year so the zoo was almost empty. We practically had the entire place to ourselves and because we got there so early we saw the animals eating their breakfast. We got a good view of everything. Felix was excited and liked looking at the animals, especially the monkey which kept jumping onto the glass in front of Felix! It would take a huge run up from up in the branches and swing itself into the glass right in front of him. Felix thought this was funny and the monkey did it a few times. Victor was generally unimpressed by all the animals.

Felix showing me the zebras and giraffes.
Then we went back home and relaxed for the afternoon. Felix played with his new toys. Nanna (my step mum, Sarah) and his Uncles (my youngest brothers) came over with afternoon tea and some very cute presents. My Mum dropped over with a storage unit for his bedroom, something which we've been in dire need of for a while now!

My brother Simon and his girlfriend Lulu came over with their present...a bunny rabbit! Felix's face when he opened the little box was priceless. It's a little dwarf lop bunny and came presented with a blue bow tied round its neck...just the sweetest thing ever. He loved patting it and we are working on holding it very gently. Felix has decided to name his bunny Cake! Cake is free to run through the garden all day. He already has a few hiding places but comes out for us to pat him and to nibble the grass. At night I secure him in his two-level hutch which is in a sheltered area outside to protect him from anything that might want to eat him!

Cake, the dwarf lop bunny!
Then this weekend we had a party! It had a Candy Land theme because that's Felix's favourite game and I thought it would be fun to do. We invited mainly family and a few close friends: I wanted to keep the guest list small because Felix does much better in smaller groups and to keep the size and cost of the party down.

Felix opening presents with Aunty Lulu and Uncle Simon
I had lots of fun making and planning things for the party, even if I didn't get everything done that I wanted to. I made invitations in the shape of lollipops; I tried to represent each Candy Land character with the menu (home made ice cream sandwiches for Princess Frostine, Licorice Allsorts for Lord Licorice, etc); and I made a Castle cake that was supposed to be reminiscent of the castle at the end of Candy Land. I have absolutely no craft, baking or decorating skills so it was a pretty big challenge for me!

The cake!
In the end I think it turned out well. It was really nice to have everyone over to celebrate his birthday and Felix was very excited about it. Sending a huge thank you to everyone who came to celebrate with us, for the lovely presents, and helping out with all the planning and preparation!

Birthday boy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...