Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lung Function Testing 2013

Today we went into PMH for Victor's second lung function test. He had his first one last August, so it should be an annual thing (I think) but we've only had an eight month gap in between.

Lung function testing is really important for older kids and adults to measure, well, lung function. It's not usually used for infants but that's why we are having it done: as part of a study to see which data they can use from it and to see if they can incorporate lung function testing as standard care for babies and toddlers. It also ties in with CT scans and bronchoscopy and they use the results from both procedures to look at respiratory health. The researchers follow each patient for several years and will use all the collected data to see if they can use the results of these early tests to predict long-term health outcomes.

Since we have been through this procedure before, it was a lot easier since I knew what to expect. We arrived at PMH at 9am down in the respiratory department (my aunt and Felix went to play in the Megazone...Felix loves that place!). We recorded weight and length (he has grown!) and filled out a bit of paperwork, went over Victor's medications, etc. The doctor in charge of proceedings today went over everything with me again just to make sure everything was clear and then we got started.

To have the tests done, Victor had to be sedated with chloral hydrate. It's an oral medication which I administered, and Victor hated it. It must taste really awful because he screamed hysterically when I gave it to him. He calmed down and I rocked him to sleep. It didn't take long before he was sleeping peacefully. We then walked over to the procedure room and I placed him on a little table. There was a pulse oximeter attached to his toe which gave a constant reading of his oxygen levels and pulse so we could easily see that he was doing ok the whole time.

The tests involved having him breathe a tracer gas to see how quickly his lungs could expel it and using sound waves to measure his lungs and things like that. Everything was non-invasive. The reason he had to be asleep is because it would be impossible to get a baby to cooperate! We can't exactly ask him to hold his breath or blow into a mouthpiece. He wore a little inflatable jacket and had a mask on so the researcher and doctor could control his breathing when they needed to. It took probably an hour all up and honestly was all pretty boring. He slept through the entire thing so the researcher and doctor got all the tests done and got all the information they needed, which was great.

Tests all completed, now we're just waiting for him to wake up!
After the testing was done they cleaned the room and we just waited for him to wake up. After a while we switched on the lights and began to make more noise and he finally woke up. I was worried he was going to be cranky, since he was waking up in a strange place and had been fasting since 5am that morning, but he was bright eyed and happy. Because of the sedative he was still a little drowsy and had a lot of trouble with muscle control for a few hours afterwards and kept falling over. He also made the strangest faces and little sounds when he first woke up and acted like he was drunk! I was told he probably did feel a little tipsy! He was interested in the toys we brought him to play with and ended up taking the pulse oximeter off his own foot. And then attempted to chew on it.

He ate a big chocolate muffin in the hospital café, and then we went home where he had lunch and a good nap. He played happily for the rest of the afternoon with Felix. Playing outside is his new favourite thing. He starts out in the cubby house, which has astroturf under it so it's nice and soft and clean for him, and he plays with the plastic food in there and looks out the window. Then he inevitably crawls onto the brick paving and 'runs' to the grass, passing through the garden bed on the way...and ends up completely filthy. Black knees and the tops of his feet are a feature now. It will be a lot easier for him when he starts walking!

Still a bit wobbly but alert and happy after the tests are over. He's just ripped the pulse oximeter off his foot!
We will be back at PMH on Friday for his bronchoscopy and chest CT scan, which is more invasive and performed under general anesthesia so a bit tougher for us all. Because the lung function tests are part of the study, we won't get any results from today because until the study is completed they are all a bit meaningless. But we will receive results from Friday's procedures so we will know early next week exactly how he is doing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Nice post i have read and I'm glad to read that you are provide such a informative information about full pulmonary function test this test can very effective.i usually read this kind of blog but your blog is very helpful.
    keep posting such posts well done


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...