Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Easy Slow Cooker Roast Chicken

I love roast chicken, but I've never had much success cooking one myself. I've tried a bunch of different recipes and none of them were particularly wonderful.

Cooking a roast is also difficult for me because I don't like to cook in the afternoon. I prefer to have things already done in the morning if possible, because Victor often wakes up in a funk from his afternoon nap and it only takes one little thing to derail the entire dinner prep process if things are left to the afternoon. So I use the slow cooker a lot.

I know heaps of people aren't huge fans of slow cookers because they don't like stews. Well, let me tell you that you can make just about anything in a slow cooker. Like...roast chicken!



I don't know why I didn't try this earlier. Probably because I was scared of messing it up, or having it not cook properly or something. I'm glad I finally did try it, because it is one of the best roast chickens I've ever had...ever. The crockpot locks in the flavour and you don't have to worry about having it dry out.

Ingredients:
One whole chicken
Olive oil
Salt
Dried herbs and spices: I used thyme, parsley and oregano.

Method:
Place the chicken into the crockpot. Drizzle with olive oil, probably about a tablespoon. Sprinkle with salt and the herbs of your choice.
Cook on high for about 6 hours.

Seriously...that's it. I left it completely alone all day.
The only issue came when it was time to lift the chicken out of the pot. It was so tender that it had trouble maintaining its structural integrity. So it kind of fell apart a little bit. But it still tasted amazing!

2 comments:

  1. What the what, this is currently a fixation of mine, too! Mostly I'm trying to convince myself it's worth learning to do well at home, considering the best seem to come from Costco at $5 each. Bronzed, charred just a little on the skin, juicy ... and at home, a raw chicken that I have to touch is $7 .... and all the mental anguish. I'll try your way next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had the option of $5 Costco chickens that would be a pretty big temptation for me too! But there's nothing like a roast chicken you cooked yourself. It makes the whole house smell wonderful. I hope you like this recipe!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...