Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Thinking About Fundraising

Oh, something I forgot to mention. I joined the P&C Committee at Felix's school. I have expressed an interest in doing this for a long time, but I worry a bit because a lot of the 'been there, done that' mums have told me not to. Why?! I asked. Is it like the Mafia? Is this a life commitment?

No, the reassuring answer came. It's just a lot of work.

Hmm, work you say. Well, I don't want to take on too much. At the same time, I am pretty nosy and want to know everything that's going on.

I went to the first meeting and it was pretty good. I guess a lot of other people received the same message because there weren't many people there at all. I'm really glad I did go, as it gave me a lot of insight into how the school functions and things that are happening in the pipeline. It also laid bare just how vital fundraising and donations are for the school. It's a public school, so you'd think the government would cover all of our needs, but the government only covers the absolute basics. If we want things like smartboards, new library books, excursions, things like that, we need to raise a certain amount from the school community. Obviously, the way the government recently decided to cut the education budget is not exactly helpful.

Fundraising is such a difficult thing to do and it's also tricky to know which is the best course of action to take.

Do you ask for a set amount as a school contribution from each family per year?

Do you set up fundraising activities and sales throughout the year?

There are pros and cons to each. If we ask for a set contribution per year, people may not pay it. Some people might feel that we're asking too much. If we set up activities throughout the year, people might feel as though they're constantly being heckled for money, and obviously it's a lot more work to set up.

On another note, I am pretty sure that I want to give CF fundraising another go this year...we participated in Great Strides in 2012 and while it was a great experience, it was also very emotionally taxing on so many levels. Or maybe I'll just 'borrow' a few fundraising ideas and we'll have our own event!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...