Sunday, February 9, 2014

Why I Write

Why do I write? Because it's cheaper than therapy?

I started this blog to keep faraway family and friends updated on our lives. This was prompted by Victor's diagnosis of cystic fibrosis. I realised people wanted to know what was going on, but sometimes they didn't know whether it was ok to ask. I was getting confused about who I had spoken to and who knew various parts of the story. I also got tired of explaining the same things over and over, so I thought I could just write everything down and then people could read it if they're interested and we could interact that way.

Starting this blog has meant that I've met other CF families all over the world and become connected to this virtual community--the only way a CF community can exist, unfortunately.

I enjoy writing. I've found the more I write, the more I have to say. I have started writing many blog posts that never get published or even finished. Sometimes I go back and polish them up and send them out into the internet for people to read. Most of them never see the light of day.

I'm also really nervous about having people read my writing. Especially at first, I was really focused on making sure my writing was 'perfect'. I was really concerned with having proper grammar and writing as well as I could, because the things I write are a reflection of myself. I thought if I didn't try my hardest to make it 'perfect' that people would judge me. As time's worn on, I've realised that grammatical perfection is probably not an achievable reality. I've also realised that blogging is different to other forms of writing, in that it's more conversational. I also learnt that I had to let it go a little bit, otherwise I'd never let anyone see anything I write.

I'm not really sure which direction I want to take this blog. I read all sorts of different blogs: instructional ones, personal ones, educational ones, fictional ones. There are things I like about all of them. I have too many interests to really narrow it down into something that can be perfectly labelled, so unless I decide to create a new blog for each interest (unlikely), I guess this one will just stumble along and be filled with all sorts of random things.

The best part about blogging is meeting new people. And actually discovering that people read this stuff, that they actually take the time out of their day to see what I've written. I've discovered new blogs this way too: looking at the profile of commenters and seeing what they've written.

Overall, I'm really glad I started writing this blog and I hope to continue for a long time.

4 comments:

  1. I also started a blog for friends and family as I was getting tired of telling people the same stories. I also move around a lot and it's such an amazing way of keeping in touch with people. I love how it lets people stay in touch as much as they want/ need to as well.
    It's funny how once you start writing all these other stories and post ideas come into your head. But I'm really enjoying it. Good luck on NaBloPoMo - it's fun isn't it?! Keep up the great writing, it's so nice to find a blog where the author is really into writing :)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! That's a huge part of the appeal for me: letting people choose what and how much they read. NaBloPoMo is fun and I'm really enjoying the challenge. I'm hoping it will make me write a bit more regularly when this month is over too. I do love writing and I appreciate the space to practice in!

      Delete
  2. I am in the same boat with my blog. I just can't narrow down to one topic. I wish I could, because I might be able to get more visitors. But I just love talking about all my favorite topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really difficult, isn't it? Sometimes I think that maybe I should make a more 'professional' blog, but I probably don't really have time for that right now. Guess everyone will have to put up with the randomness for a while longer! I think having a lot of different interests just makes you interesting and intelligent, so really, we're probably both better off for it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...